Retroactive Actions & General Appeal

Retroactive Actions

Retroactive actions include any action or change to a student’s academic record that alters information in a term after the start of finals for that term. Petitions for retroactive changes are governed by the Academic Senate Committee on Grade Changes (Grade Change Committee). This includes petitions for retroactive withdrawal, and retroactive modification of a single course; e.g., drop, add, unit change, or grade mode change.

Questions about the retroactive petition process should be directed to a Grade Change Deputy in the Office of the University Registrar. For information on the Grade Change Committee, review the Committee’s published guidelines. For all petitions, careful writing and documentation is advisable because petitioners do not attend meetings of the Grade Change Committee. Petitions without documentation will not be accepted.

The Grade Change Committee generally meets once per month during the academic year (from October to June) and the submission deadline for each meeting is generally the 15th of the previous month. Scheduled meetings and current membership may be found at Grade Changes Committee.

Retroactive Withdrawal

To withdraw from the University after close of business on the last day of instruction, students submit a Retroactive Withdrawal Petition, along with a written statement explaining the situation and any supporting documentation to the Office of the University Registrar. The Grade Change Committee will review all Retroactive Withdrawal Petitions and approval will be granted only in the most unusual circumstances and only in those cases where it is clear that by not approving the petition the student would be treated unfairly, Davis Division Academic Senate Regulation 547(D). Petitions without supporting documentation will not be accepted.

Retroactive Changes

A student wishing to petition to retroactively modify an individual course; e.g., drop, add, change units, or change grade modes, should complete a Petition for Retroactive Change and submit it to his or her instructor. The instructor should then note whether or not they support the petition, sign the petition, and then submit the petition on the student’s behalf to the Office of the University Registrar. Students are not permitted to submit Petitions for Retroactive Change directly to the Office of the University Registrar. If the instructor for a course is not available, the student should work with the department to submit the petition.

General Appeal

Submit a General Appeal

Online: using your Kerberos ID and passphrase, complete the General Appeal webform.

If you do not have an active UC Davis computing services account, complete the paper form and submit it to the Office of the University Registrar.

A Petition for General Appeal may only be submitted for processes or deadlines governed by the Office of the University Registrar; e.g., registration and enrollment status deadlines, fee refunds for Cancellation/Withdrawal, PELP, etc. 

Readmission and admission decisions are not governed by the Office of the University Registrar.  Any student who has missed the Readmission deadline will need to contact their college advisor directly rather than completing a General Appeal form.  Additionally, those wishing to submit an appeal regarding their admission decision must appeal to the Late Application Appeals Review Committee directly. 

When reviewing appeals, the General Appeal Committee looks at the student’s entire record and any documentation that has been provided as support regarding why the student has missed a particular deadline. As such, there is the expectation that when submitting an appeal the student has a substantive and supported reason for the appeal; e.g., medical or family emergency, administrative error, or other extenuating circumstance. Appeals submitted without appropriate merit or supporting documentation will be denied.

Submit questions online regarding the General Appeal process at Contact an Expert.